The TRIO/SSS program is designed to assist low-income, first-generation, and students with disabilities with completing their Associate degree at Western Iowa Tech and successfully transfer to a four-year college or university. We create a welcoming, supportive environment that helps and inspires students to reach their fullest potential and successfully graduate college. We build relationships with students and maintain strong partnerships with campus and community resources.
These programs are geared to serve students from the 6th grade and older at no charge to participants.
- Educational Talent Search (6th - 12th grade) provides assistance to qualifying students in area middle schools and high schools.
- Upward Bound (9th - 12th grades) provides assistance to qualifying students in area high schools and offers a unique six-week summer college simulation experience for participants.
- TRIO Student Support Services (College Students) provides assistance to qualifying students who are attending WITCC and offers a unique summer bridge program for high school students that just graduated in May. Services are provided in Sioux City, Denison, and Cherokee.
Process to Apply
- A TRIO staff member will contact you to set up an intake appointment. The intake appointment takes approximately 30 minutes. Bring these items to bring the intake appointment.
- Current tax return. If you are under the age of 24, bring both your and your parents’ tax returns.
- Driver’s license or permanent resident card.
- Once your application is approved, you will attend orientation. Orientation will take approximately one hour.
- Bring your laptop to orientation.
The TRIO/SSS program provides an abundance of services to help students be successful:
- Academic advising and selecting appropriate courses
- Campus visits to four-year schools and universities
- Career exploration and preparation (mock interviews, resume building, etc.)
- Community cultural activities and events
- Financial aid application (FAFSA) assistance
- Informational workshops (transfer counseling, financial literacy, etc.)
- Mentoring program for leadership development
- One-on-one professional and peer tutoring
- Personal, academic, and financial aid counseling
- Scholarship searches and scholarship application assistance
- Transfer counseling and transfer admissions assistance
To be accepted into TRIO/SSS, you must be a US citizen or have a permanent resident card and meet at least one the following criteria:
- Be a first-generation college student.
- Meet federal income guidelines.
- Have a documented disability.