Iowa's community colleges meet the unique education, training, economic development and quality of life needs of the regions they serve. Iowa community colleges served over 335,00 credit and non-credit students in 2018 - over 10% of all Iowans.
Western Iowa Tech is meeting the unique needs of our region by:
- Leading the state by conferring 24% of construction degrees, 17% of health sciences degrees and 30% of all certificates statewide.
- Leading the state in re-certification and re-licensure three years in a row, and being third in non-credit enrollment.
- Leading the state in percentage of Native American and Hispanic enrollment four years in a row.
To build on these successes, the Iowa Community College Trustees 2020 legislative priorities include:
State General Aid: Increase Community College State General Aid no less than $8.8 million.
Local Community Support: Provide elected Community College Boards the governance flexibility to access local funding in its discretion.
- Support public/private funding opportunities for credentialed training partnerships among students, Community College, businesses and others through Work Based Learning..
- Support local decision-making and ongoing funding for the Iowa Skilled Worker and Job Creation Fund and New Jobs Training Programs