Iowa National Guard Service Scholarship (INGSS)
INGSS is a state funded program that pays schools directly for the cost of tuition for members of the Iowa Army and Air National Guard. Based on annual appropriation by the Iowa state legislature, INGSS normally pays 100% of your tuition cost for classes between August and May. INGSS does not cover summer courses. INGSS does not pay fees. For more information on INGSS please visit the Iowa National Guard's website at www.iowanationalguard.com.
To be eligible for INGSS you must:
- Apply for the INGSS each year by the established deadlines
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Be an Iowa resident (determined by the Adjutant General of Iowa)
- Be an active member of the Iowa Army or Air National Guard (satisfactory performance of duty)
- Have completed Initial Entry Training (Basic Training and AIT or Tech Training)
- Have not met the requirements of a Baccalaureate degree
- Attend a North Central Association (NCA) accredited community college, university or private college or university in Iowa.
Applying for Benefits
The deadline to apply for INGSS is generally July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester. If you attend WITCC for both fall and spring semesters you only need to apply once.
Apply for INGSS
- Go to https://icaps.iowacollegeaid.gov/ICAPS/ApplicationProcess/ApplicationMainPage.aspx
- Sign in or create account
- Complete/Submit application (make sure you have chosen WITCC as your school)
- Receive two emails
- Application received
- Application approved
- Once application is approved your name will appear on an online roster.
- Financial Aid will apply the INGSS to your WITCC account.
- POC for questions is National Guard Education Office or Wing Education Officer
- Army - 515.252.4468
- Air - 515.252.4555 or Wing Education Office
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is required to be considered for the INGSS. However, the results of the FAFSA do not affect the amount of your INGSS award.
When your application for INGSS is approved your name will appear on an online roster that we have access to in the Veterans Services Office or Student Financial Services. If the INGSS award results in a credit balance on your WITCC account (example - you are receiving other Federal or State and INGSS) the INGSS funds will be refunded to you in accordance with WITCC refund policy. Generally refunds are disbursed approximately 30 days into the semester and every Wednesday thereafter. You would then be able to apply INGSS funds towards other costs of attendance which may include books, living expenses, gas, etc.
If you reduce the number of credit hours you are registered for within the drop period, INGSS will be adjusted. If you received a refund of INGSS funds it may result in a balance due to WITCC. For specific information about how reducing credit hours affects INGSS please contact the WITCC Financial Aid Office.
Visit www.iowanationalguard.com for more information.