Associate of Applied Science
Sioux City Hybrid
WITCC offers several nursing programs for students interested in pursuing a nursing career. Once a student completes the Nursing Assistant - CNA certificate or work as a CNA, they enroll in the Nursing - PN Diploma. Practical Nursing is a 1-year program available in Sioux City, Denison, Cherokee, and hybrid (partially online and partially in Sioux City. Denison, and Cherokee and hybrid have a fall only start). The Practical Nursing diploma prepares students for the NCLEX-PN exam in order to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). When the student becomes an LPN they progress into the second year of additional training with the Nursing - ADN program. Graduates of the Associate Degree of Nursing program are prepared to write for the NCLEX-RN to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN).
This program generally prepares individuals in the knowledge, techniques and procedures for promoting health, providing care for sick, disabled, infirmed, or other individuals or groups. Includes instruction in the administration of medication and treatments, assisting a physician during treatments and examinations, referring patients to physicians and other health are specialists and planning education for health maintenance.
Admission Application Deadline
- Priority application deadline for Fall is April 1. Students will be notified by April 15.
- Second round application deadline for Fall is June 1. Students will be notified of acceptance by June 15.
- Final application deadline for Fall is August 10. Students will be notified by August 15.
- Priority application deadline for Spring is September 15. Students will be notified of acceptance by September 29.
- Second round application deadline for Spring is November 1. Students will be notified of acceptance by November 15.
- Final application deadline for Spring is January 2. Students will be notified by January 6.
If you are not selected in the first round application you will automatically move to the next round. Accepted students will be notified after each round via email and/or letter.
Acceptance into the nursing program will be determined by a point ranking system. Qualified students will be given points in the following areas:
- Is a graduate from a high school within the College’s service area OR is a current resident within a 75-mile radius of Sioux City OR a 50-mile radius of Cherokee or Denison.
- Is enrolled in WITCC’s International Program.
- ACT or TEAS scores, plus grades achieved on biology courses
(For Practical Nursing: BIO-168 and BIO-151; For Associate Degree Nursing: BIO-173 and BIO-186). Students may retake general education courses only one time for ranking consideration.
- For ADN admission only: Is a previous WITCC LPN Graduate.
Meet Your Advisor
Sioux City Campus, Admissions
Transfer to a Four-Year School
If a bachelor's degree is your educational goal, getting a head start on your major has never been easier. You can apply the credits from this associate degree toward a bachelor's degree at a four-year college and university. To make the most of your time and money, tell your advisor about your transfer plans early in the admissions process.
Four-Year College Agreements
Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required.