WITCC offers both, Low and High pressure boiler operator classes with Steam Plant I and Steam Plant II. The following classes qualify as 500 hours of work experience. A total of 1000 hours of experience will be attained upon completion of both Steam I and Steam II. After completion of Steam II, one may elect to take an American Society of Power Engineer Third Class Facility Operator Exam. Visit www.ASOPE.org for more information on the exam. These classes also help the participants prepare for the City of Sioux City boiler exams.
The City of Sioux City requires a Boiler Operator to possess a City License. The Sioux City requirements for a Boiler Operator's license are as follows:
- Completed Trade License Application Form
- Payment of application fee
- Copies of all licenses previously or currently held
- Notarized affidavits or letters on company letterhead from former or current employers specifying exact type of work done and for how long
- For a 3rd class Operators license at least one year (2,000 hours) of documented experience
- For a 2nd class Operators license at least three years (6,000 hours) of documented experience
- For a 1st class Operators license at least four years (8,000 hours) of documented experience
Register and pay before the course begins, course fee includes book and lab expenses. These classes are primarily held online with a mandatory in person session once per week in order to maintain online submissions. These classes are commonly scheduled twice a year, once in the spring and once in fall.