Call us now
Email us
High School Diploma

You can earn your high school diploma for free with the HSED program (High School Equivalency Diploma) at several locations at Western Iowa Tech Community College. Click on the specific campus for more information about HSED.

Sioux City
Sioux City en Espanol

How to Enroll in HSED

To enroll in the program, the first step is to attend an orientation class in Sioux City, Cherokee, or Denison. To sign up for orientation, contact the Sioux City, Cherokee, or Denison office directly. Orientation is approximately three hours long. Students under age 19 of will need to come in prior to enrollment to fill out additional paperwork.

Class Options

Students have several options to complete their HSED. Each option is discussed during orientation.

Option 1: Take the HiSET® Exam

This option can be face-to-face or online. The HiSET® exam is held at the end of the HSED course and consists of five subject areas: reading, writing, social studies, science and math. Students must pass all five subtests prior to receiving their High School Equivalency Diploma. Before taking the official HiSET® exam, students will take practice tests in each subject area to make sure they are prepared for the official exam. Testing is available in English and Spanish.

Option 2: Transfer High School Credits

This online only option is for students who have already taken high school courses. You can transfer your existing credits from your high school to WITCC. Your HSED coursework may be changed based on the number of remaining credits needed to complete your degree. To transfer your credits, send an official high school transcript to your HSED teacher to evaluate before orientation.

Option 3: Transfer Your Degree

This online only option is for students who have already earned a postsecondary degree or foreign postsecondary degree (such as bachelor, associate degree etc.). You must bring in an official copy of your transcripts and diploma to orientation. For this option, you must be an Iowa resident for at least 90 days before enrolling.


Accommodations are available for students with disabilities and health-related needs. All HiSET® accommodations are processed through the Educational Testing Service (ETS). For more information go to